I called Gary on a Friday night on a holiday weekend about my dryer vent being clogged up. He arrived promptly on Saturday morning and worked hard to solve my problems. He is very knowledgeable and professional. I highly recommend him for all of your vent and chimney cleaning needs. He went above and beyond for me and didn’t charge any extra when he sure did deserve it! Thanks so much Gary!
I called Gary on Tuesday. This morning (Friday) he showed up promptly at 10:30 to clean our dryer vent. Not only did he work super hard to make it meticulous, he showed me a video of the inside before and after. Clean as a whistle now! He inspected it, cleaned the vent area on the dryer, even cleaned the excess lint that had collected on the ground outside! Gary does a great job, is very reliable and hard working!
I could not believe how clogged our vent was. We are now doing this every year with our fireplace. The lack of airflow was keeping our clothing from drying properly and it looked like a fire hazard waiting to happen. Thanks for everything.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your dryer needs to be able to breathe! The free flow of air through the entire venting system is absolutely necessary for proper performance. Dirty dryer vents cause longer drying times, which contribute to higher utility bills. In addition, loose lint can collect around the heating element and electrical wires. Excessively hot dryer loads caused by lint backup, in conjunction with the lint buildup surrounding the dryer’s heating element, increase the chance of a fire!
Every 6-12 months, depending on how much laundry you do. The NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) & most dryer manufacturers recommend that the dryer venting systems be inspected annually. Having your dryer vent system cleaned at least annually will help ensure that your dryer can operate more smoothly, lessening the risk of dryer performance issues and more importantly – lessening the risk of a fire caused by lint build up!
Besides expelling combustible lint from the dryer, now there exists a combustible gas which can produce carbon monoxide (A colorless, odorless & toxic gas). If the dryer vent is not maintained on a regular basis, the potential for carbon monoxide produced from the gas can leak back into your home causing sickness & potential death!
- Improper construction of venting systems (improperly sealed vent joints, screws protruding through the vents, improper vent materials, damaged or missing exterior termination covers, excessively long dryer vent routes, etc.).
- PVC piping. When air passes over plastic it generates static electricity. Lint is attracted towards the static, in turn creating thicker lint deposits within the dryer venting system.
- Vinyl/plastic & flexible foil. These materials should never be used in dryer venting as they collect lint, water/mold, and increase your risk of a fire hazard. The ideal venting is rigid metal duct work which is solid with smooth interior walls.
- Birds nests in the vent system
- Wildlife intrusion
– Your dryer stops working
– Any lint around the outside of your dryer and vent
– Hot or burning smells in your laundry room
– No air flow coming from the outside exhaust vent
– You haven’t had your dryer vent cleaned in over a year
In many cases, dryer vent systems are in excess of 10 feet in length up to 35 ft in length. Many systems are hidden in the home’s construction and are inaccessible for proper maintenance unless you have the proper cleaning equipment & understanding of how the vent system is & should be constructed. Hiring a Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician dryersafety.org means that you’re trusting your family’s safety to someone who has spent countless hours & training understanding proper construction, inspection & maintenance of dryer vent systems that adhere to the related codes & standards.